Skip to main content

About Annies Antiques Blog

I'm reviving my blog, its been a few years but now I'm back and ready to chat about antiques again.  Do you love all things old and interesting too? If so please follow my blog as I've got loads to show you.

So what's here? I'm not limiting myself in any way except that what is here has to be old and it has to have visual or historic interest. Looking at old silver and jewellery, ceramics including art pottery and tiles. I like old magazines although the dust does put me off a little. Glass is colourful and I love paperweights.  Also, I take photos of interesting old buildings and places oh yes and interesting people from the past too.

Small Silver

I've been interested in history all my life and an antique dealer for the past 20 years. Retiring now so I'm sharing a few of my finds from the past and all the old stuff I find as I go off on new adventures.

Sharing my knowledge so I don't forget it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Special Scottish Silver Brooch - Ola Gorie

I wantd to show you this special brooch - It is available from my website shop at http://www.antiquesavenue.co.uk/ where a kind shopper noticed it and let me know that it was designed and made by a lady called Ola Gorie in the Orkney Islands , Scotland. The brooch has the initials OMG which are her trademark and it also has full silver hallmarks. I've visited Ola Gories website hoping to find out a bit more about the design which I suspect is taken from a similar Scandinavian design I have seen. It appears that she is not currently selling a piece of jewellery in this design.  This brooch appears to have two birds ( Doves or Love Birds?) sitting in a tree eating small fruit such as cherries.  Do you know the tradidiotnal design this is based on? Please do get in touch I would love to know.

porcelain plaques for antique brooches

You can often find older brooches , especially Victorian brooches, set with porcelain plaques which have been painted or printed. These brooches are quite decorative and very collectible . Try looking out for some with classical European paintings: Hand painted with Birds brooch : Or how about a collection of hand painted vintage floral brooches? These three types of vintage brooch all have the inset porcelain plaque in common. They vary in age with the top one being mid- Victorian , the central one being later Victorian and the lower one being an Edwardian brooch. All should be treated with reasonable care as porcelain chips easily and the pictures would come off if they are subjected to harsh cleaning materials. How should you clean them - hopefully a gentle wipe with a soft dry cloth. If this doesn't work a well wrung out damp cloth or just a touch of washing up liquid if really necessary. Do not let the damp get to the setting if you can help it as most likely the settin